ABOUT STRATTON ST MARGARET PARISH COUNCIL
Stratton St Margaret Parish Council serves a population of approx. 23,000 residents, served by 19 Parish Councillors. We employ 18 full and part time staff over all of the areas of the organisation and services the Council provides; Open Spaces, Democratic Services, Library and Caretaking. The Parish Council staff is led by the CEO/Clerk to the Council who is the Proper Officer of the Council and leads a workforce which consists of Council Officers and supporting staff who all hold the necessary skills and qualifications to undertake their roles.
In 2016, we took over the management of our Open Spaces from Swindon Borough Council. Here are some stats and information on our Open Spaces work:
- We have around 200 acres to maintain.
- We are a burial authority and carry out a burial on average every 2 weeks.
- We have football pitches which we maintain and rent out.
- 9 play parks, which are formally checked weekly, the safety surfaces are subject to constant vandalism and need regular repairs.
- 123 bins in total of which around 30 need to be emptied every day else they will overflow. A further
- 55 bins need emptying twice a week and the rest are emptied weekly.
- We litter pick every street, alleyway and footpath in the entire Parish on a rota which takes 4 weeks to complete.
- We have 2 large tractor mowers that work almost every day for 7 months of the year, plus a larger tractor to cut larger areas and as well as this we have council housing lawns which need hand cutting.
- We also strim grass verges.
- We have many flower beds and welcome tubs which have needed watering every 2-3 days this summer.
- We have 2 large allotment plots which are very time consuming and have shown enormous improvements in the last 2 years.
- We have at least 2 miles of hedging to cut, some of this is cut twice a year.
- We have 2 ponds which need to be monitored, one of which hosts a fishing club.
- We have an AGP all-weather football pitch to manage / maintain
- We carry out project work to improve the sites such as tree planting, tree plantation thinning work, fencing, bench renovation, pathway improvements, wildlife habitat creation and general planting
- We also spend a huge amount of time just generally clearing up after people and repairing vandalism!!!
Here’s an up-to-date boundary map to give an overview of the area we cover as a Parish Council:
We are really sad and disappointed to see this graffiti on our library wall. Please share and if anyone has any information please can you contact...
Wales & West Utilities will be carrying out some essential work in the Bridge End Road area of Swindon. The work will start on 6 January on...