BT has instigated a public consultation on their proposals to remove 44 payphone callboxes within the Borough. Notices have been posted in each of the relevant phone boxes to inform users and passers-by of the proposals and the consultation process. In addition, Swindon Borough Council (SBC) has been advised that as the ‘local public organisation’ it has a responsibility to consult local councils, community groups and residents.
There are 4 payphone callbox(es) within the parish as detailed below:
|Telephone Number||Location||Number of calls in last 6 months|
|01793 831663||PCO Sywell Rd SN3 4BG||0|
|01793 824620||PCO Ruskin Avenue SN2 7NB||48|
|01793 831680||PCO Ridgeway Rd SN2 7RX||30|
|01793 831677||PCO Briery Close SN3 4PA||0|
BT offers 3 possible responses to the proposal to remove a callbox:
- Agree to the removal
- Adopt the callbox. Where the local callbox is a traditional red phonebox, BT are encouraging communities to purchase for £1 in order to use the box for the benefit of the local community benefits eg as a library.
- Object to the removal. Ofcom Regulations state that BT has a duty to provide ‘reasonable geographic access to public call boxes’ and offer the following as relevant factors to consider in relation to each callbox:
- Whether the area in which the box is located has a relatively high proportion of people on low incomes or in rented properties who could be less likely to have access to mobile or fixed line telephones.
- Whether the area requires a phone box for emergency calls, perhaps near an accident black spot or near to a community facility.
- Whether the area has poor or sporadic mobile network coverage.
- The level of call volumes made from callbox which can give an indication as to its usefulness or value to the community.
A case will need to be argued for each objection, backed up with evidence.
Responses should be sent to either email@example.com or Forward Planning, Swindon Borough Council, Wat Tyler West House, 5th floor, Beckhampton Street, Swindon SN1 2JG.